We announced in 2007 that we were developing a more cost-effective HZ combined wall system. The prerequisite for the production of this innovative system was the revamp of our rolling mill ArcelorMittal Differdange in Luxembourg. Now the mill is up and running, and this is the right time to introduce the new HZ-M Steel Wall System, available for shipment by the end of 2008.
The main goals of the development of this system were:
- achieve higher section modulus to provide state-of-the-art retaining structures for new port structures and deep excavations,
- produce more economical HZ sections to reduce the overall cost of the structure,
- achieve tighter tolerances on the final product,
- increase production capacity of the HZ combined wall system.
Many alternatives were investigated by our R&D, and the one that complies with all the criteria consists in a worldwide unique combination of rolling technique and finishing technology:
- rolling of wide flange beams with a section depth up to 1100 mm, and flange thicknesses up to 37 mm
- milling of a groove for threading the connectors
Furthermore, the geometry of the flange depends on its thickness: lighter HZ-M sections have a concave geometry, heavier sections have parallel flanges. The maximum elastic section modulus achieved with this new system is around 30% higher than with the existing one.
Note that the existing HZ/AZ system will still be manufactured during an adequate transition period.
The new flyer on this website contains all the basic data needed for the design of new structures. A more comprehensive brochure will be available shortly.
Do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to have more detailed information.